Institutions related to Chopin Institutions related to Chopin

The Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław

The Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław

The history of the Karol Lipiński Academy of Music in Wrocław dates back to November 1948 when, thanks to the efforts of the activists of the Dolnośląskie Music Society, The State Higher School of Music was established. At that time it was the fifth higher education institution in our town and the seventh higher  school of music in Poland. Primarily it ran only the Faculty of Pedagogy; in 1949 the Vocal Faculty came into being, and in 1950 - the Instrumental Faculty and the Faculty of Theory and Conducting which in 1951 expanded into a section of composition.

The four-faculty structure has been retained  throughtout the whole history of the School, with only minor changes in the years 1954-55 and 1987-90. In 1972 the scope of education was broadened with the opening of the General and Practical Music Therapy Unit (in 1983-86 transformed into an institute) - the first research unit of this kind in Poland.

The function of rector was performed in succession by:

Father Prof. dr. Hieronim Feicht (1949-51)
Janusz Nowak  (1951-53)
Ass. Prof. Józef Karol Lasocki (1953-57)
Prof. Adam Kopyciński ( 1957-63)
Ass. Prof.. Zbigniew Liebhart (1963-69)
Ass. Prof.Jerzy Zabłokci (1969-81)
Ass. Prof. Marek Tracz (1981-84)
Ass. Prof. Zygmunt Herembeszta (1984-87)
Prof. Eugeniusz Sąsiadek (1987-90 and 1995)
Marek Dyżewski (1990-94)
Prof. Jezry Mrozik (1995-2002)
Prof. Grzegorz Murzyński (since 2002 until now)

In 1981 the School changed its status from the State Higher School of Music to the Academy of Music and was given the name of an outstanding violin virtuoso, Karol Lipiński. In 1993  the Academy moved to a new abode in 1 Maja Square. And in 1988 it celebrated its 50th anniversary. On this occasion the conductor Tadeusz Strugała was awarded  the first Honoris Causa Doctorate in the history of the institution.
A year later Kurt Masur, also a conductor and the director  of the New York Philharmonics, became the next Honoris Causa Doctor, and in 2000 honoris causa doctorates were conferred on Maria Fołtyn and Wojcich Dzieduszycki. Among the plans for the coming years, building of a new concert hall for an audience of over 1000 in the immediate vicinity of the School seems to be  the most important undertaking for  the future of the Academy. The project has already been completed and when realized it will serve not only the needs of the Academy but of the whole Wrocław and the surrounding region as well.


 

By category: