Institutions related to Chopin Institutions related to Chopin

Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra

Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra

The Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra gave its first concert on 5 November 1901, in a newly erected building. It was conducted by the Philharmonic’s co-founder, first musical director and conductor, Emil Młynarski, and the soloist was Ignacy Jan Paderewski. Already before the First World War and during the inter-war period, the Warsaw Philharmonic became the main centre for musical life in Poland and one of the major musical institutions of Europe. During the first years after the war, the orchestra’s concerts were held in theatres and sports halls. In 1955, a new building was erected on the site of the previous seat, destroyed by German bombs. The orchestra was led in the years 1950–1955 and 1958–1977 by Witold Rowicki, who organised the new ensemble, from 1955 to 1958 by Bohdan Wodiczko and from 1977 by Kazimierz Kord; from 2002 to 2013, Antoni Wit was managing and artistic director. Since 1 September 2013, Jacek Kaspszyk has been artistic director. Today, the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra is popular and esteemed around the world. It has undertaken more than 140 tours on five continents, performing in the world’s major concert halls. It regularly participates in the International Fryderyk Chopin Piano Competition. The WPO records for Polish Radio and Television and for Polish and foreign record labels, as well as for films. The WPO’s achievements have been recognised many times with prestigious phonographic awards, including Grammy, Diapason d’Or, ICMA, Gramophone, Record Geijutsu, Classical Internet Award, Cannes Classical Award and Fryderyk. The orchestra is a regular at ‘Chopin and his Europe’.


 

By category: