Institutions related to Chopin Institutions related to Chopin

The Stanisław  Moniuszko Academy of Music in Gdańsk

The Stanisław  Moniuszko Academy of Music in Gdańsk

Gdańsk, the wealthiest town of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, radiated splendour of culture. It is confirmed and visualized by the monuments, traditions of science, art and musical culture. Since the end of the 19th century  conservatoires, institutes and music schools sprang up in Gdańsk. Before the World War II in Free City of Danzig there were conservatoires of Heidingsfeld, Riemann, Binder, and the Polish Music Conservatoire founded (1929) by Jan Niwiński, under the direction (1934-39) of Kazimierz Wiłkomirski. The war of 1939-45 ruined that output. Migrations gathered in Gdańsk people from other Polish centres - from Warsaw and Poznan, from Silesia and Pomerania, from Vilius and Lvov. The music life started to revive. In 1947 The State Higher School of Music opened in Sopot. It was organized by Stefan Śledziński and a group of teachers among whom there were: Janina Cygańska, Jan Ekier, Zenon Feliński, Roman Heising, Janusz Urbański. At the beginning only 19 students undertook learning in the fields of violin, piano and musical education. Regardless of the difficult postwar conditions the school was gradually developing as far as its structure and teaching staff are concerned. In the first decade it included such names as Stanisław Bielecki, Stefan Herman, Barbara Iglikowska, Leokadia Nowacka-Ilska, Kazimierz Czekotowski, Florian Dąbrowski, Wacław Kmicic-Mieleszyński, Konrad Pałubicki, Paweł Podejko, Władysław Walentynowicz, Kazimierz Wiłkomirski, Bohdan Wodiczko. In 1957 the school already had 138 students and 70 graduates. Next decade resulted in even better achievements: in 1967 the studies included 20 specialities, there were 225 students and 286 graduates. The developmnet of the School in those times required also the enlargemnent of the school buildings. The problem was successfuly solved in 1966, during the term of rector Prof. Roman Heising, when the school was transfered from Sopot to Gdańsk.

The fifteen years between 1972 - 1987 mark the longest rectorial term (rector Prof. Dr. Antoni Poszowski), and a considerable, multidimensional development of the Gdańsk School of Music. It functioned on the bases of the four-faculty structure, with the faculties of composition and theory of music, instrumental, vocal and drama, musical education and eurhythmics and 27 different specialities. The research and teaching functions are fulfilled by the departments of piano, string instruments, wind instruments, chamber music, vocalism, conducting of music bands, musical education and eurhytmics. The teaching activity was supported by the Main Library, a publishing house founded in 1972, a recording studio and phoniatrics unit. The extramural courses were set up, with a colsultation point in Koszalin. In 1978 the Institute of Theory of Music was opened as well  as Pedagigical Department and Foreign Languages Department. In December 1982  the School was named The Stanisław Moniuszko Academy of Music. During this last long period it underwent the development in all possible fields of activity. Until 1987 the Academy produced 1450 graduates and the number was still increasing. Students and graduates were successful in competitions and festivals in the country and abroad - they won 90 international and 160 national awards. Among the prizewinners are such eminet artists as Konstanty Andrzej Kulka, Stefania Toczyska, Zofia Janukowicz, Jerzy Sulikowski, Edward Zienkowski, Roman Suchecki, Bożena Porzyńska, Piotr Kusiewicz, Ewa Pobłocka and many more. A well-deserved recognition of music circles has been gained by the classes of solo singing (Prof. Barbara Iglikowska, Prof. Halina Mickiewiczówna), piano (Prof. Zbigniew Śliwiński, Prof. Jerzy Sulikowski), violin (Prof. Stefan Herman and his successors), organs (Prof. Leon bator), cello (Prof. Roman Suchecki), composition (Prof. Eugeniusz Głowski), guitar (Prof. Jan Paterek), clarinet (Prof. Mieczysław Pietras) and other wind instruments. Undaubtedly, the artistic life, flourishing in these circles and radiating from them, was the stimulus of these achievements. The concerts of the academic symphony orchestra (Prof. Henryk Gostowski, Prof. Zbigniew Bruna), choir, chamber music groups and students' chamber opera have been extremly popular. The  soloists have been appearing on numerous European and world stages. The scientific circles of the Academy still focus interest and cooperation of many centres. For years it has been engaged in intense activity (directors: Prof. Konrad Pałubicki, Prof. Dr. Marek Podhajski, Prof. Dr. Antoni Poszowski, Prof.Dr. Paweł Podejko, Prof. Dr. Joachim Gudel and others) in local, national and international symposia and scientific conferences, for example those devoted to piano music, organs and organ music, music of the sea, musical culture of various nations, Polish composers' creative output, regional history and musical culture, music performance. This stream of activity and the development of cooperation with the reasearch and artistic institutions in the country and abroad have resulted in many common initiatives, artistic, scientific and pedagogic. The variety of scientific life focused in the Academy manifests itself in the activities of the Institute of Theory of Music and the Publishing House. The output of The Stanisław Moniuszko Academy of Music is indicated by numerous individual achievements, but what contributes to it in the first place is the artistic and scientific, teaching and educationg work of the successive generations of teachers, combining tradition with the future perspective. Into the '90s, the period of economical and political transformations, the Academy entered with a substantial output but also unadapted to the conditions resulting from critical situation in the sphere of finance and organization. One of the most urgent problems was a new, bigger and modern building. The efforts undertaken during the recorial term of Prof. Roman Suchecki resulted in taking possession of  former barraks  and realization of  the huge scale building works during the rectorial term of Prof. Waldemar Wojtal. The impressive new complex was errected in Łąkowa Street. Functioning and developing in increasingly better conditions  of modern facilities and in the atmosphere of positive economic tendencies, the Academy of Music in Gdańsk has been fulfilling its tasks in the new abode adequate to the cultural values it creates and the mission it performs, as well as to the strategies of its further progress.


 

By category: