Institutions related to Chopin Institutions related to Chopin

Wessel & Stapleton

Wessel & Stapleton

A publishing house founded by Chritian Rudolf Wessel in London. He began his editorial activity with William Stodart establishing the firm Wessel & Stodart which primarily concentrated only on importing musical prints, and from 1824 also on an independent publishing activity. In 1838 Stodart backed out of the partnership and Wessel continued on his own until 1839 when Frederic Stapleton joined him as partner. In 1845 Stapleton withdrew of the firm. In 1860 Wessel handed the business over to its administrators, Edwin Ashdown and Henry Parry, and the company continued under the imprint Edwin Ashdown Ltd.

From 1833 Wessel's publishing house published Chopin's works, in 1836 it acquired exclusive right to publication of Chopin's compositions in Great Britain.

The publishing house published mainly piano music, many popular arrangements of opera airs and dances, but it also printed piano compositions of Beethoven's, Mozart's (sonatas), Heller's, Thalberg's.


 

Publisher printed the following Chopin first editions:

Prelude in C sharp minor, Op. 45 (1842), plate number: W & S No. 5297
Allegro de concert in A major, Op. 46 Op. 46 (1842), plate number: W & S No. 5298
Ballade in A flat major, Op. 47 (1842), plate number: W & S. No. 5299
Fantasy F minor Op. 49 (1842), plate number: W & S No. 5301
Tarantella in A flat major, Op. 43 Op. 43 (1843), plate number: W & S No. 5295
Polonaise in F sharp minor, Op. 44 Op. 44 (1844), plate number: W & S No. 5226

By category: