CHOPIN’S POLAND CHOPIN’S POLAND

Warsaw: Radziwiłł Palace

Warsaw: Radziwiłł Palace Warsaw: Radziwiłł Palace

Radziwiłł Palace, otherwise known as the Governor's Palace, situated on Krakowskie Przedmieście (two hundred years ago at no. 387) is believed to have been the venue for Fryderyk Chopin's first public performance. The concert took place on 24 February 1818 and was organised at the initiative of Countess Zofia Zamoyska by the Warsaw Charitable Society, chaired at that time by Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz. The brilliant young pianist, then eight years old, performed a piano concerto by Gyrowetz. [1]

Radziwiłł Palace was built in the seventeenth century. It belonged in turn to the Koniecpolski and Lubomirski families, but was owned for the longest period by the Radziwiłłs. At the beginning of the eighteenth century it was rebuilt in classicist style, and in 1821 stone lions, designed by Camillo Landini, were placed on the street side of the palace. In 1817 the palace was purchased from the Radziwiłłs and became the seat of the Tsarist Governor. After the First World War, the building housed the Presidium of the Council of Ministers. Today, the building is known as the Presidential Palace [Pałac Prezydencki]; since 1994 it has been the seat of the President of the Polish Republic and the venue for meetings and talks with official guests of the head of state.



[1] See H. Wróblewska-Straus, M. Tomaszewski.

Gallery of photographs »
 
mini mini
mini mini