CHOPIN’S POLAND CHOPIN’S POLAND

Warsaw: Blue Palace

Warsaw: Blue Palace Warsaw: Blue Palace

The salon of Count Stanisław Kostka Zamoyski and Zofia Zamoyska in the Blue Palace, active from the times of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw, was one of the more important meeting points for Warsaw society. It attracted representatives of political spheres, the Russian imperial authorities (dignitaries of the Russian court and foreign guests), literary circles (especially during the period of the famous 'literary Fridays') and also musicians (organisers and performers of concerts in aid of the Charitable Society founded by the countess).

Chopin, who is believed to have first played at the Zamoyski salon as a sixteen-year-old, was invited to the Blue Palace many times as a young man. One of these recitals took place in May 1826. Chopin recalled that evening in a letter to Jan Białobłocki: 'On Sunday, a week ago to the day, I was at the Zamoyskis', where Długosz's aeolopantalon was admired virtually the whole evening long.' [1]

It is worth mentioning that in the same palace, on the Żabia street side, Chopin's friend, the writer Klementyna Tańska, later Hoffmanowa, also held a salon in which the young Fryderyk performed.

The Blue Palace was erected in the seventeenth century, and in the following century King Augustus II had it rebuilt according to a rococo design by Joachim Daniel Jauch. Subsequent owners were the Czartoryskis and, from 1811, the Zamoyskis. The next rebuilding, carried out by Fryderyk A. Lessel in late classicist style, gave the building its ultimate form, which can be admired today thanks to its post-war reconstruction.

On the other side of ul. Senatorska, virtually opposite the Blue Palace, stands a late baroque statue of St John Nepomucen by Giovanni Liverotti from 1731. This is one of the few original elements characteristic of this site. Located near Plac Bankowy, in the direction of Plac Teatralny, at 37 Senatorskastreet , it now houses the offices of the Municipal Transport Board, among others.



[1] The correspondence of Fryderyk Chopin, ed. B. E. Sydow, 1 vol. (Warsaw, 1955), 65.

 


Gallery of photographs »
 
mini mini