The Birthday Concerts series has been organized since 2002 by The Fryderyk Chopin Institute in collaboration with the Warsaw Philharmonic and Channel 2 of Polish Radio. The aim of the series is to celebrate Chopin’s birthday on 1 March, the day observed by the composer himself, his family and friends (even though Fryderyk’s baptismal certificate shows a birth date of 22 February). The series features performances by the most distinguished interpreters of the composer’s works.
On 1 March 2015, at the traditional time of 12:00 noon, Channel 2 of Polish Radio will broadcast a Chopin recital performed on a historical instrument by Paweł Wakarecy.
- Polonaise in A major op. 40
- 4 Mazurkas op. 24: 1. G minor, 2. C major, 3. A-flat major, 4. B-flat minor
- Nocturne in E-flat major op. 55 no. 2
- Grande Valse Brillante in E-flat major op. 18
- Prelude in C-sharp minor op. 28 no. 10
- Lento con gran espressione op. posth.
- Polonaise in F-sharp minor op. 44
Witold Lutosławski Concert Studio of Polish Radio,
1 March 2015, 12:00 noon
Tickets are available for PLN 30 at Polish Radio’s online shop: sklep.polskieradio.pl
Sunday, 1 March 2015, 6:00 PM
Warsaw Philharmonic Concert Hall
FRYDERYK CHOPIN BIRTHDAY CONCERT
Dang Thai Son, piano
Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Jacek Kaspszyk
- Maurice Ravel:
- Valses nobles et sentimentales
- Jeux d’eau
- La Valse (transcription for piano)
- Fryderyk Chopin – Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor op. 21
Ticket sales at the Warsaw Philharmonic box office (ul. Sienkiewicza 10), as well as online.