Journal of Laws 2001 No. 16 Item 168
LAW of February 3, 2001 on the protection of the heritage of Fryderyk Chopin
- The works of Fryderyk Chopin and objects connected with him are nation-wide values subject to special protection. The name of Fryderyk Chopin and his image, respectively, are protected under the rules concerning personal interests.
- The values specified in section 1 are supervised by the minister competent for culture and protection of national heritage, hereinafter referred to as the "Minister".
- In particular, the Minister is entitled to seek protection of the values referred to in section 1, if such values are used in a prejudicial manner.
- The amounts awarded as compensation or satisfaction for the infringement of the values referred to in section 1 shall be transferred for the benefit of the institute referred to in Article 4.
- The Minister may commission the institute referred to in Article 4 to perform duties mentioned in sections 1-3 and in Article 3, within the scope indicated by the Minister.
The place of birth of Fryderyk Chopin - the Manor House in Żelazowa Wola with an antique park surrounding it, is considered national cultural value, which is subject to protection provided for in this Law.
The protection of the heritage of Fryderyk Chopin includes, in particular:
- Cultivation of knowledge and memory of Fryderyk Chopin,
- Research and cooperation in the development of the knowledge about the output and the person of Fryderyk Chopin,
- Popularization of his works, including in particular through:
- Undertaking or co-financing the publication of records, music and other publications,
- Organizing or co-financing concerts,
- Undertaking or providing financial support for competitions or other initiatives with the purpose of presentation of works and popularization of the knowledge about Fryderyk Chopin,
- Cooperation in the support and development of the performance of the works of Fryderyk Chopin in Poland and abroad,
- Gaining, gathering, protecting and making available the objects and places connected with his life and production,
- Protection of personal interests specified in Article 1 section 1 and actions aiming at the maintenance of the integrity of Fryderyk Chopin's works.
- The Fryderyk Chopin Institute is hereby established, hereinafter referred to as the "Institute".
- The Institute is a state culture institution within the meaning of the provisions of the Law of October 25, 1991 on organizing and conducting of cultural activities (Journal of Laws 1997, No. 110, Item 721 and No. 141, Item 943, of 1998 No. 106, Item 668, of 1999 No. 101, Item 1178 and of 2000 No. 12, Item 136).
- The Institute has legal personality.
- The authorities of the Institute are as follows:
- Director of the Institute,
- Programming Board of the Institute.
- The organizer of the Institute is the minister competent for culture and protection of national heritage.
The tasks of the Institute are as follows:
- Protection of the heritage of Fryderyk Chopin,
- Individual or based on agreement - through third parties - management of real property and other things connected with Fryderyk Chopin, being the ownership of the State Treasury or possessed by state organizational units,
- Cooperation with state and self-governed units, organizations and natural persons in activities aiming at the protection of the heritage of Fryderyk Chopin.
- Natural persons and organizational units distinguished in the protection of the heritage of Fryderyk Chopin shall be granted an award of honor "Person of Merit for the Protection of the Heritage of Fryderyk Chopin".
- The award of honor "Person of Merit for the Protection of the Heritage of Fryderyk Chopin" shall be granted by the Minister.
- The Minister shall specify, by regulation, the procedure and rules of the granting of the award referred to in section 1, its model and manner of wearing it.
- The Law does not infringe the provisions of the Law of February 4, 1994 on copyrights and neighboring rights (Journal of Laws 2000 No. 80, Item 904).
- The claims provided for in the Law referred to in section 1 for relatives of the author shall be performed in relation to the works of Fryderyk Chopin by the Minister. The provisions of Article 1 section 1 shall apply respectively.
In matters not regulated in this Law, the provisions of the Law referred to in Article 4 section 2 hereof shall apply.
The establishment of the Institute may take place not later than within 6 months of the effective date of the Law.
- The Law comes into force after the lapse of 14 days of the date of its promulgation.
- With reference to the registered trademarks using the name or image of Fryderyk Chopin, the Law shall come into force after the lapse of 6 months of the date of its promulgation and shall refer also to the trademarks used on its effective date.